Pink Nik Designs Website

Pink Nik Designs Website
Upto date, news, offers, services & more

Saturday, August 9, 2008

small business - mall trading final

BEING SELF EMPLOYED
Ok so from this experience I’ve found that;
a) This may not be the most suitable venue for my business. I either need someone up there full time to open and close and call me with any order – but here starts the problem of hiring someone!! Or
b) Get something full time so I can take all my gear up to the mall. Or maybe
c) Find some other way of advertising and promoting my business!
But while I can’t really gather all malls in one group it seems like a lot of people dictating how you are meant to run your business. Surely this takes the fun out of being self employed? I love the flexibility of being able to start and finish when I please, to display my products in a way that suit my tastes.
My experience working in the mall has not been a bad one, the 14 hours days I can do without, but while working on your own like have been in a workshop means no one to talk to for most of your day, this is a good opportunity to network and meet other self employed people or the folks that work for them. The banter is lively, especially since I’ve been in a wee group of kiosks and the mall staff very welcoming and friendly.
As usual this is not for everyone, if you have a product that is a bit easier to sell that customised t-shirts, then this would be the perfect thing for you. Being in the mall is not for me I love my freedom and space, in a way knowing I’m the only that can dictate 99.9% of the rules sits well with me. I have promised my staff we’d not do it again but I know I will, I’ll just have to bribe them to make sure they’re willing to spend the days up there when not much happens.

No comments: