Pink Nik Designs Website

Pink Nik Designs Website
Upto date, news, offers, services & more

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A thought on: Speed Networking


Well I had a good 'first' today, I attended my first speed networking event. It was a total marathon!

Here's how it went...

9.30am: arrive, have bacon roll and cup of tea (wake up), informal chat with folks there.
9.45am: take seat and you’re told if you’re a 'mover' or a 'sitter'. I think the names speak for themselves. I was a sitter so folks came to me. You get 2 minutes each to chat about your business and what you do. Then the whistle goes and you move on, or in my case wait for the next person to shift over. Over the first run you get to talk to 10 folks.
11am: break for cuppa, more informal networking
11.25am: next round, 10 more folks to chat to
12.30pm: lunch and chatting to folks you didn’t get the chance to meet or talking more in-depth with those you did.
1.30pm: head back to the office

It's really hard work doing pretty much the same schpeel every 2 minutes without trying to get tongue tied. But what was really good was that in that morning networking you have made 20 definite contacts. Not all of them are something you will use and they might not all want to use you, but who knows! What I found really useful is that out of the 20 folks I got a chatting to there were quite a few that seemed genuinely interested in my business and quite a few that I was really interested in using them.

I definately will do the speed netowrking thing again.

But I think to add to my top tips about networking; I think these 3 really need to be added to the list.... please see next post and check out my top tips labels.

No comments: